Pages - Menu

Thursday, October 16, 2008

VirtualBox: Spawning Session

After a recent kernel upgrade, I found my VirtualBox 2.0 stopped launching VMs, and would just sit there with a dialog saying "Spawning Session" and a progresss bar which never went past 0%.

A quick look on Ubuntuforums and I found others are having the same problem. Turns out the kernel module hasn't loaded. We can force a recompile with this command:

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

It then stops, recompiles, and starts the module:

* Stopping VirtualBox kernel module
* done.

* Recompiling VirtualBox kernel module
* done.

* Starting VirtualBox kernel module
* done.


And VirtualBox is working again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you saved my day

greetings from good old austria

Jamie said...

You're more than welcome!

I'm glad (and quite surprised) that someone is actually reading this.