Pages - Menu

Monday, October 13, 2008

User's $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored

There's been a few users on Ubuntuforums, myself included, who have had this error pop up as they log in:



The error seems pretty obvious, that the file listed ~/.dmrc has the wrong permissions. The fix for this is easy, at a terminal, do the following, replacing the word username with your username:

sudo chown username /home/username/.dmrc
chmod 644 /home/username/.dmrc

Except I don't have a .dmrc file to do this to, so what could be causing the error? After a bit of hunting around, I found this can also pop up if your home directory has global write permissions. The fix for this is just as easy. Again at a terminal:

sudo chmod 755 /home/username/

which gives other users read access to your home directory. Or if you'd prefer it private, then

sudo chmod 700 /home/username/

will work as well.

Log out, log in again, and the error screen should go away!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi,
i'm very greatful. this failure was a big needle in my eyes.
thank's

sry my english is not very good

Anonymous said...

tried the method above, now I get this msg...
sudo: /etc/sudoers is mode 0660, should be 0440

I need some help to fix this!

Unknown said...

sudo chmod 700 /home/username/ worked for me

Vikrant Korde said...

when i execute this command, it says .dmrc file is not found.

Where can i get that? or how can i create it?

Regards,
Vikrant Korde.

Jamie said...

You should be able to create a blank file with "touch ~/.dmrc"